About

History

O.O. Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology of National Academy of Sciences (NAS) of Ukraine was founded in 1953 as a result of the merging of the Institute of Experimental Biology and Pathology (IEBP) of the Ministry of Health of the Ukrainian SSR and the Institute of Clinical Physiology (ICP) of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR.

Both institutes were founded in 1931 – 1934 due to the initiative of Academician OO Bogomolets, a world-renowned scientist who was the director and supervisor of these two institutions until 1946. During 1946 – 1953, they managed the institutes of experimental biology and pathology and clinical physiology, respectively – O.O. Bogomolets and RE Kavetsky.

The scientific activity of the institutes was of great importance for the development of physiology. These institutes have studied and researched allergy, immunity, hypoxia, tumor development, and the most important issues of endocrinology, gerontology, and geriatrics. Based on the research of O.O. Bogomolets, original concepts that became important milestones in the development of some areas of physiology was created. These include connective tissue physiology, blood transfusion effects, body reactivity, cytotoxic sera, and more.

In 1953, A.M. Vorobyov, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, became the newly established Institute of Physiology director. O.O. Worshipers. From 1956 to 1966, the Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine AF Makarchenko headed the institute. During this time, departments of electrophysiology (headed by Academician DV Vorontsov), General Physiology (headed by Academician PG Kostyuk), Biophysics (headed by Corresponding Member of NASU AA Gorodetsky), Physiology of Aging were established. (Chairman – Doctor of Medical Sciences NV Lauer) and others.

From 1966 to 2010, the institute was headed by Academician of NASU PG Kostyuk. Since 2011, the Academician of NASU O.O. Krishtal is the director of the institute.

Research

O.O. Bogomolets Institute of Physiology is a research center in molecular physiology, biophysics, neurophysiology, and pathological physiology. For the first time in the former Soviet Union, microelectrodes were used at the institute to study the structural and functional organization of neural centers, biophysical and molecular mechanisms of neural excitation and inhibition. Methods of intracellular dialysis of the cell soma have been developed and applied to study the membrane and molecular mechanisms of cells’ neural functions. New data on physical and chemical processes in nerve and muscle cells, synaptic transmission mechanisms, and ionic mechanisms of excitation were obtained. The order of participation and response to stimuli by different groups of cortical neurons and the mechanisms of inhibitory processes in the cerebral cortex were identified.

The modulating effect of different parts of the brain on cardiovascular reflexes, the relationship between central and peripheral mechanisms of vascular tone regulation under functional load were determined. Original models of acute myocardial dystrophy leading to shock have been developed. Important data were obtained on immunogenic disorders of the cardiovascular system.

A new set of methods for determining the effectiveness, condition, and level of athletes’ training, methods of functional diagnosis of cardiovascular and respiratory diseases were developed. New methods of studying higher human nervous activity have been proposed, and appropriate equipment has been developed. Studies were conducted to determine the intensity of work, to develop physiological criteria for professional selection. A method of optimizing the dose of mineral water “Naftusya” was developed, which increased the effectiveness of spa treatment of kidney and liver diseases.

The Institute has a postgraduate course

Documents are accepted from June 25 to September 10.